Friday, January 18, 2013

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Thalia & Aldona

Happy Friday! Here are today's two patterns:

First, the "fancy": Pattern Thalia




Why it's "fancy": Thin, calligraphic curves create prominent loops

Why it's great: The large spiral-y capital O's resemble olives (especially from a distance), and the straighter diagonal lines come together to form starburst shapes out of the white negative space, but the thin lines and over-emphasis on loops keeps the pattern elegant and "fancy."


And now, the "funky": Pattern Aldona




Why it's "funky": Straight lines create unexpected shapes (from a distance some white "squares" of negative space pop forward, but the first thing you see is the shape formed by two horizontal rectangles - one with little "arms" pointing either up or down).

Why it's great: You can see a lot of things in that strange shape - when the rectangles "arms" are pointing up, I think instantly of a little bowl/goblet/candy dish, or a candelabra/menorah, and by tilting my head sideways I see letters - perhaps a capital I C, or a ligature of the word "HE."

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment