Friday, June 28, 2013

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Leela & Avery

Complex and elegant or simple and bold - what's your favorite type of pattern?

First, the "fancy": Pattern Leela





Why it's "fancy": From a distance, it looks like lace, with its thin lines and curls.

Why it's great: Up close, it's interesting to note that some loops touch each other while others leave a small buffer of white negative space in between.


And now, the "funky": Pattern Avery





Why it's "funky": Simple, bold, and modern, this pattern takes simple ellipsoid shapes, radiates them out to create a "racetrack" feel, and then alternates vertical and horizontal orientation to create unexpected repetition.

Why it's great: I love the fun shapes created from the negative space between each square of four "racetracks" - it's like a tilted white square that's being pinched in a little on all four sides!

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment