Friday, October 21, 2011

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Celia & Ariel

It's finally Friday, and you know what that means! I'm really excited to share a couple of the patterns I've created. Since this is my first Fancy/Funky Friday post, let me identify how I'm using the terms "fancy" and "funky" a little bit first before we get to the good stuff.

The "fancy" patterns are all relatively elegant, often with thin strokes, while the "funky" patterns have something about them that makes them feel too heavy to be considered "fancy" (such as thicker strokes) or are eclectic in some other way. It's the difference between thin and thick, organic and geometric, and patterns you'd see upholstering King Louis XVI's furniture and patterns you'd see on more modern stuff. There is definitely some overlap and there were several patterns I've created that I could easily argue as being in either category, but generally one adjective tends to win out (in my mind at least).

So, on to today's patterns!

First, the "fancy": Pattern Celia



I love how elegant the pattern looks, whether scaled up or down. This was created completely out of the "D" character of a cursive font. I picture this being used to decorate the Napoleon III Apartments in the Louvre - it just feels historically ornate. Can't you just imagine a little jewel encrusted in each of those small white spaces in between the pattern units? I want a settee upholstered with this pattern - something that is true of pretty much every "fancy" pattern I've created. What can I say? I love arabesques and the feel of rococo. It's definitely my favorite kind of style.

Fun fact: The watercolor I am working on right now heavily features Pattern Celia. Since I was so displeased with my last watercolor, I started on a smaller, simpler one that's more similar to other things I've [more successfully] attempted in the past. I'm hoping to finish it this weekend, so look for a post more about it soon! :)

And now the "funky": Pattern Ariel



The strokes are a little thicker, there are more angles than there are gentle curves, the pattern is denser with less white space, there are some lines that flow into each other better than other ones, and the pattern looks best when it has a slight tilt. I think it has its own elegance to it, as well, especially when the units are scaled down and viewed from a bit of a distance, but overall I'd definitely categorize it as "funky." I find it really dynamic - there's a lot of movement that zig-zags your eye back and forth, but there are some interesting bits that let your eye rest for just a moment, too, such as the four-pronged starfish-type shape. I kind of like how the lines don't quite touch each other as they all come together there (which is why I left it that way instead of trying to fidget them into place). It's just another unexpected part in this really unique pattern. :)

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday"

Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!


2 comments:

  1. The first pattern is beautiful! I'm sure it's not worth much right now, but when/if I'm planning a wedding, you'll be the first person I call!

    ReplyDelete