Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday Sample Spotlight: "Candy on the Cob"

I can't believe it's already the end of October! Exactly two years ago today, my now-husband proposed to me, so October thirtieth will always hold a special place in my heart. :) For most people, though, it's less about diamond rings and more about...

Halloween! That's right, Halloween is finally tomorrow. This could be one of the first years that I don't actually have any Halloween plans. After I finally reached an age when trick-or-treating was taboo (a genuinely sad day), I still usually had some sort of Halloween party to attend with friends (such as the one my now-husband and I held in his apartment the day after we got engaged). But this year I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with displaying this awesome Halloween-themed invitation as this week's Sunday Sample Spotlight! It's most Halloween-y thing I've done (and apparently will do!) all year. :)

"Candy on the Cob" was inspired by a piece of scrapbook paper I had that featured a large photo of piles of candy corn. I cut out a few pieces of the scrapbook paper to attach to the envelope, and then scanned the paper on my computer to incorporate it subtlety in the background of the actual stationery as well.

"Candy on the Cob" - Invitation Duo with inside and outside envelopes

The main envelope is a black linen cascade pocketfold (just like last week's "Pick Your Own"), meaning there is space in the middle for the A7-sized invitation (~5"x7"), and a pocket on the right for the reply card and envelope. I decorated the right pocket and the flap on the left with the candy corn scrapbook paper and then picked orange envelopes for the outside A7 envelope and reply card for two reasons. 1.) Black envelopes are hard to write addresses on, and the reply card and outside invitation envelopes would definitely need addresses, whereas the inside envelope (the black cascade, when folded up) would just need a couple of names written on it, which could more easily be done with a white or silver colored pencil, paint pen, gel pen, etc., and 2.) I love how the orange pops against the black and really brings the whole set together by bringing the orange from the candy corn imagery into the envelopes.


The silhouetted tree and the white zombie hand emerging from the ground are more examples of the traced illustrations I like to create with Illustrator's pen tool. I just find an image online (or use a picture I've taken), pull it into Illustrator to use it as a template, and trace it and modify it to make it my own. The smoky haze in the background and the little bats weren't traced from anything, but just drawn freehand with the pen tool, which is why they are even more simplified and stylized.


I really love how this stationery set came out. The text implies that it's for a Halloween-themed wedding, but it wouldn't have to be. While the invitation would also work fine on its own, I think it's the scrapbook paper lined envelope that really makes this set extraordinary. But the design could still easily be adapted to any Halloween-themed event, such as regular costume parties.

Happy Halloween, everyone!

Next week's Sunday Sample Spotlight: Autumn Leaves

Click here to view all Sunday Sample Spotlight posts.

"Like" Invites by Andrea on Facebook!

Shameless Plug Time: Love this invitation (or others featured on this blog)? Want something similar (or something completely custom) designed for your event? Visit Invites by Andrea to view more samples, download a catalogue pdf (coming soon!), or fill out a design request form. Or shoot me an email to ask me your questions or learn more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment