Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday Sample Spotlight: "Pick Your Own"

It's time for the first official Sunday Sample Spotlight post! Every Sunday I plan to feature some photographs to showcase one of my sample pieces, starting today. So, without further ado, here is the orchard-themed "Pick Your Own," an invitation duo nestled in a red linen "cascade" envelope. The stationery (a wedding invitation and information card) was printed on 80# white linen text paper so that its texture would match the linen texture of the envelope.

"Pick Your Own" - Invitation Duo
The image of barrels of apples in the lower right of the invitation is an example of one of my specialties - taking an image and turning it into a vector image by tracing everything with Adobe Illustrator's pen tool. I just love using flat color in images instead of photographs. It feels more unique, especially on stationery.


Then I created layers of translucent bands of color behind the image to make it feel more whimsical. Trust me - without those stripes of color, the invitation felt really plain, but with them it really came alive. So I incorporated the colors in the background of some of the text as well, both to highlight the most important parts and to bring the text and image together more cohesively.


I wouldn't normally use this kind of kid-like font (it looks too much like the dreaded Comic Sans for my taste), but after trying lots of other options, I really did like how the font looked with the illustrative apples. It was clearly the best option - it even had "apple" in the name (though only because it came standard on my iMac, and not because it has anything to do with the red fruit featured in this invitation design). :)






This photo gives a good view of the texture of both the envelope and the paper the stationery was printed on. Linen paper feels so much more sophisticated than flat cardstock, and since the font and illustration were so informal looking, I felt that the linen texture would be the perfect way to bring back some elegance to the design.

Thanks for reading! Next week's Sunday Sample Spotlight: Halloween-themed! Make sure to check back.


Click here to view all Sunday Sample Spotlight posts.

"Like" Invites by Andrea on Facebook!

Shameless Plug Time: Love this invitation (or others featured on this blog)? Want something similar (or something completely custom) designed for your event? Visit Invites by Andrea to view more samples, download a catalogue pdf (coming soon!), or fill out a design request form. Or shoot me an email to ask me your questions or learn more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment