Friday, May 25, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Gianna & Christina

Today's patterns both use diamonds and other details, but the real difference between the two that separates them as "fancy" and "funky" is, as is often the case, line thickness.

First, the "fancy": Pattern Gianna




Thin lines always seem more elegant to me than thick, bold lines, and this week's patterns exemplify that opinion. Pattern Gianna, though very unique and quite modern, still fits into the "fancy" category because the lines are thin, and because the pattern oscillates between simple, plain white diamonds and more detailed diamonds with elegant curves.

I love how preppy this design is. Wouldn't it look great on polo shirts in classic colors like dark red, navy blue, and green? The diamonds are classic and classy, but the interesting details inside the diamonds give a fun contemporary twist to the feeling of the pattern.


And now, the "funky": Pattern Christina



This pattern is also pretty "classic" in some aspects - it features elongated diamond shapes and flower-like forms. But the lines are so bold and thick that more than anything else, it screams "modern" and so I have to put it into the "funky" category. If it's a pattern that I can imagine used to upholster 1970s style furniture, how can it be classified as anything but?

The basic concept of this pattern is pretty simple. Pattern Christina features a lowercase italic "d" in a serif font which was reflected across both the x- and y-axes to create the flower-like cluster of four you see repeated here.


-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment