Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday Sample Spotlight: "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree"

Black and red is a classic color combination for formal events like weddings - but that doesn't mean your decor and invitations have to be limited to classic motifs. Bold graphics like poppies, daisies, and other flowers look great in black and red, yet feel very modern - and today's Sunday Sample Spotlight post is the proof. :)

Black Horse and the Cherry Tree - Invitation Duo (invite & reply card)

I used a black and red floral patterned scrapbook paper to line all four flaps of the metallic black petal envelope of this invitation duo. I loved the worn look that the scrapbook paper had (where cracks of black were visible on the red flower petals), so I scanned the paper into my computer to use in the design. I used Illustrator's pen tool to cut around the flower vines, so that I could capture both the shape and texture of the flowers without getting the black background. Then, because it needed some of that rick black to help the flowers pop off the invitation and match the scrapbook paper, I added black circles to the design, laying them on top of the white flower centers.




The metallic shine of the black petal envelope is only visible when the envelope is closed, since the inside flaps are all completely lined with scrapbook paper. Because red envelopes are easier to address than black ones (and because I didn't want the strong black color to become too prominent), I went with a metallic red for the reply envelope and outside invitation envelope.





The bold sans-serif font used throughout the invitation and reply card design was chosen to match the graphic, modern feel of the flower patterns. Then, I used an italic serif font to add a hint of elegance back into this usually classic color combination. :)



Next week's Sunday Sample Spotlight: "Champagne Showers"


Click here to view all Sunday Sample Spotlight posts.

"Like" Invites by Andrea on Facebook!

-

Shameless Plug Time: Love this invitation (or others featured on this blog)? Want something similar (or something completely custom) designed for your event? Visit Invites by Andrea to view more samples, download a catalogue pdf, or fill out a design request form. Or shoot me an email to ask me your questions or learn more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment