Friday, May 18, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Heather & Rubena

TGIF! Celebrate the coming weekend by looking at these two fun patterns! :)

First, the "fancy": Pattern Heather



This pattern might look a little familiar - it's kind of similar to Pattern Vivian, another pattern I've featured on here before. Both patterns came from the same font, so they have some similar gothic features. Interestingly, I categorized Pattern Vivian as a "funky" font, since the prominent shape created was a heart and the hearts were displayed in fun zig-zag lines. Pattern Heather has a similar heart-like shape (though this heart was created with a different letter, so it looks a little different), but the repetition of the individual pattern "units" is more structured, which makes it more "fancy" and less "funky."

Pattern Vivian was created out of an old English capital A, and Pattern Heather was created out of an old English capital B. When placed back-to-back, the curved lines bring to mind butterflies or flower blossoms, and the variance of thickness along the calligraphic lines makes this pattern a definite member of the "fancy" category.


And now, the "funky": Pattern Rubena




This is one of my favorite "funky" patterns because it's so fun and unique. I love the little diamonds that have a little detail around the edges, and the almost-oval shapes bring to mind cartoon characters. Don't they each look like a long, simplistic cartoon face with wide bug-eye glasses frames? :) From a distance, the thin lines make this pattern more elegant, but up close the simplicity and uniqueness of the shapes are definitely "funky." Because Pattern Rubena is so fun, I like to use bold, saturated colors (like the hot pink I used here) for it, but it would look good in practically any color.


-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment