Friday, September 21, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Cynthia & Clover

Though they look very different, I used cursive/calligraphic fonts to create both of today's fonts. The "fancy" pattern uses a lowercase cursive "z" and the "funky" pattern uses a capital "N" with lots of flourish. :)

First, the "fancy": Pattern Cynthia




Pattern Cynthia is a classic "fancy" pattern. The lines are thin and curvy, and when the pattern "units" are repeated, diagonals and diamonds are formed, mimicking my favorite argyle patterns. I also made sure to include lots of negative white space and kept the repetition and shapes rather simple to play up the delicacy and elegance of the pattern.


And now, the "funky": Pattern Clover




From a distance, the red lines are so close to each other that they almost become a solid field of color; then, the white circular forms jump forward, becoming the positive space in a background field of red. When you look more closely at Pattern Clover, however, it's easier to see the individual lines that radiate out from each white circle.

I made this pattern from a fancy capital "N" character - can you see it? The beginning and end of the "N" are such large flourishes that they create half of each red arc. Even though the lines are thin (and I started with a calligraphic font), the multiple arcs in a row seem much more "funky" than "fancy", since they take on a modern, zig-zag appearance.


-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment