Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Interior Design: Green & Pink Guest Bedroom

As you may remember from previous blog entries, my husband I recently purchased a house. It's such a big house compared to the apartment we had before (and we still have so little furniture!) that it's definitely going to take awhile to get around to decorating all of the rooms. Two rooms that were high on our list of priorities were our master bedroom - which was painted a glaring salmon-peach color that didn't go with our black bedroom furniture or dark blue bedspread at all - and the guest bedroom. I'll show you pictures of how I decorated our master bedroom in a post tomorrow, but first --

Guest Bedroom:

Before:



Most of our house had been poorly painted by the previous owners - and I'm not just talking about a matter of taste. Even rooms that were painted only one (and not super offensive) color had obvious mistakes at closer inspection. The previous owners clearly didn't know about painter's tape - or were just too lazy to be bothered with it. Globs of green paint were all over the edges of the otherwise white ceiling, half of the white-painted trim had similar green splotches along edges, and there was even evidence of the previous bright blue paint color that was hiding under the newer green. When we went to change light switch and outlet covers, or remove their old curtain rods to put up new ones, there was suddenly bright blue paint visible everywhere that they never repainted.

And then there's the matter of the color green they chose. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't quite right, either. The shade of green was somewhere between a pale mint/pistachio color and light lime green, which felt a little too pastel for the sophisticated feeling we wanted our grown-up guest room to have.

My husband loves green and pink color schemes, and I agreed that it would be great for our guest room, but the current green paint still had to go. We repainted the entire room (green-splotched white ceiling included) in a slightly darker and infinitely more sophisticated light olive green and found a great pink and green quilt to match. We installed window blinds and put up a white curtain, got a wrought iron bed at wayfair.com, and flanked the new bed with two nightstands from Ikea.

After:


The walls are still pretty bare (and we're still waiting for a wooden dresser and mirror that my in-laws are sending us), but we started to put some finishing touches in already. We hung up some wedding photos on the wall that I'd had matted in almost the same shade of green in amazing foresight last year, I found some nice inexpensive faux olive green flowers at Michael's to decorate one nightstand, and I put my grandma's old wooden hope chest at the foot of the bed.

The idea I had for this room was kind of a sweet homely garden cottage feel. The wooden dresser and chest will be different shades of wood, and I plan to drape at least one crocheted blanket over part of the wooden chest to add more texture to the room. We hung a leafy green wall hook from Pier 1 on the wall opposite the pictures, and I plan to make more art for the room over time that continues the green/pink color scheme and a warm, comfortable garden feeling. It's definitely on it's way!


-


I hope you enjoy my interior design advice. I'm a complete amateur when it comes to home decorating, but I've always loved finding new ideas to use color, and I can't wait to make over our new house with some of my own decorating ideas. :)

 

Shameless Plug Time: Love this color combination and my decor ideas? Looking for custom stationery made to match these colors (or whatever other color combinations you're using for your event)? Visit Invites by Andrea to view stationery samples, download a catalogue pdf, or fill out a design request form. Or shoot me an email to ask me your questions or learn more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment