Friday, September 14, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Valerie & Denise

Happy Friday! Here are today's patterns! :)

First, the "fancy": Pattern Valerie




Pattern Valerie has thin strokes and an overall lace-like quality (especially from a distance). I love how the design creates columns that vary between skinnier white columns with interspersed patterns and thicker columns made up of tall, slanted loops. The variation makes it interesting up close - and all of the best patterns work great both from a distance and up close. :)


And now, the "funky": Pattern Denise





Made of four lowercase "a" characters in a fun font that uses both super-thick and thin strokes to make each letter, Pattern Denise is certainly unique! I rotated each "a" 90 degrees and joined them at the center to form windmill-like designs, which I then repeated on a diagonal, almost-but-not-quite lining up the serif at the top of each "a"with the next one. From a distance, you almost can't tell that the pattern "units" aren't quite touching, since our eyes/brains like to complete lines that are broken up.

Because the "units" are so far apart from each other, a lot of white negative space is let in - so much so that the white "plus-sign" designs jump out at you and demand attention. The white negative space thus becomes the positive space, and the brown windmill shapes are regulated to the background.




But when I only use a few columns of the pattern (and draw attention to each "stripe" by alternating colors, like I do in the example above), the windmill shapes once again become the prominent part of the pattern, and jump back into the foreground.

Isn't playing with positive/negative space fun? ;)


-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment