Friday, September 28, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Danielle & Marcella

Happy Friday! Here are today's "fancy" and "funky" patterns:

First, the "fancy": Pattern Danielle




This pattern is very dense - there isn't a lot of visible white space, and the thin lines are very close together. Its density gives it the appearance of lace, and the thin strokes and multiple loopy forms add to this illusion.




In the above example, I used Pattern Danielle to adorn a stationery set by placing a whole field of it in the background, then using gradients to blend most of center of the pattern into the ivory color of the paper so it wouldn't stand out. The end result is a hint of multi-colored pattern on either end of both the invitation and reply card, and further hints of the pattern in a single "unit" breaking up paragraphs of text. I also used the same loopy font I took this pattern from for the text of the stationery, to tie the text and pattern together.



And now, the "funky": Pattern Marcella





Though I played up the "funkiness" of Pattern Marcella by showing it here in a bright lime green, the thick brushstrokes, simplicity of design, and relationship of positive and negative space all gave it a modern feeling before I chose the color. When it was time to repeat the pattern units to create a large block of pattern, I staggered the units that were oriented the same way so that it wouldn't be just alternating columns of vertical units and horizontal units. This unexpected staggering only further adds to the fun, whimsical feeling of this design, making it a very funky pattern indeed. :)



-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment