Wednesday, December 7, 2011

How to Use Illustrations on Stationery - Part Three: People

Yesterday the blog post was all about the location of the event... But maybe you want your stationery to be more about the people involved. Not a problem - people can also make for great illustrations!


The obvious examples to use illustrations of people are for announcements, such as baby announcements and wedding announcements. The stationery is all about you and the events in your life, so why wouldn't you want a picture of yourself featured?


Of course, a personalized illustration wouldn't count as a catalogue design, since the image would require customization, so the design fee would cost a little more. But to announce your engagement or your newborn baby, isn't a personal illustration worth it? :) 


The other option is more generic people illustrations, often with the use of silhouettes. By showing silhouettes of people in action, your guests can get an idea of what to expect at your event. Having a Roaring Twenties themed shindig? Check out this silhouette of a jazz band and flapper girl. The silhouettes obscure the real identity of the people - for all your guests know, your brass-instrument-playing friends might actually look like that when they provide the music for your party, and you may have a flapper costume just like this one that you plan to wear at the event.



Or maybe you're having a luau party. This hula girl silhouette instantly captures that feeling - and gives suggestions to your guests for the kind of attire they'll be expected to wear. ;)


The great thing about silhouettes is that they can also be tweaked a little bit to look a little more personal. I found a silhouette of a couple kissing on Google images and traced the basic shape with the pen tool in Illustrator for the invitations to my wedding shower. But that clip art image had the man much taller than the woman, and the woman had long hair that was flowing all over the place. I wear my hair in a ponytail so often that most people I know probably wouldn't recognize me if I wore my hair down, and my husband is about the same height as me. So I made a few adjustments so that the girl in the silhouette had hair more similar to the style I prefer, and evened out the heights a little. My husband and I didn't pose for this silhouette, but it still looks like it could be us... And if I hadn't told you otherwise you probably never would have known. ;)


Finally, your illustrations of people don't have to actually look much like people at all! For this old school video game style invitation, I made little stick-people-like forms out of boxes to suggest 8-bit illustrations from the eighties. They exist only to play up the video-game theme of the party (without stepping on any illustration copyright issues).


That's all for this week, but there will be more next week, so check back!

-

Shameless plug time: Love my illustrations? Love these designs? Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these illustrations or download a catalogue pdf (coming soon!). Or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment