Friday, December 2, 2011

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Pearl & Kadenza

Can you believe it's already December?! More importantly, can you believe it's already Friday?! ;) You know what that means - it's time for another Fancy/Funky Friday!

First, the "fancy": Pattern Pearl



This "fancy" pattern has a much more modern feel than the patterns I usually classify as "fancy" - and it all has to do with the type face I chose for the initial characters. I love how the pattern varies between wide open white space and dense, heavily detailed areas. From a distance, the detailed strips of pattern look almost like solid pink! And the white circles that really seem to pop out of the pattern feel very chic and contemporary. It still has some lace-like qualities to it, though, and the line thickness is pretty uniformly thin throughout the pattern, which makes it fancier than a typical modern pattern might be.

And now, the "funky": Patter Kadenza



This is another great example of a pattern that pairs wide empty space with heavily concentrated areas of pattern. This design feels very linear and structured from far away, since the horizontal and vertical lines are so important and obvious. But when you zoom in and see more of the little details, it takes on a whole different feel. The individual units of pattern remind me a cross from the middle ages - perfect plus signs with a bit of ornamentation added to it - but the bright orange color is distinctly modern, and makes this pattern a lot more funky. :)

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment