Thursday, December 22, 2011

How to Use Illustrations on Stationery - Part Seven: Plants

And finally - the seventh and final part of the How to Use Illustrations on Stationery series - plants! :)


It's no secret that I love flowers and making illustrations of them - it's what I did for my own wedding, after all. And here are several more examples of illustrated plants that work great for stationery!


This first sample is an illustration of the quintessential red rose, paired with other imagery common of tattoos for a fun, casual, tattoo-themed invitation. I traced it from a photograph I'd taken of a rose.


The flowers and grass in the example below are much more free form, and weren't traced from a photograph, but rather drawn free hand with Illustrator's pen tool. They look more childlike since the shapes are simpler, and the bright colors and simple imagery gives the stationery a very optimistic feel.


The example below was traced from a photograph I took of a purple plant in Barcelona in 2010 that was bent over and hanging down with all of its purple petals facing the ground. I'm not knowledgeable enough about plants to know its name, but it was gorgeous, and that's all I needed to know to capture it with my camera and trace it for a stationery design. ;)


This image of lavender was also traced from a photograph of my 2010 travels - in this case, the Jardin du Luxembourg in Paris, France.


These flowers were obviously not traced from anything, but rather drawn free-hand with the Illustrator pen tool to exemplify pixelated old-school computer graphics.


The example below was traced from a photograph of another plant in Barcelona. My plant knowledge is pretty limited, but I think this was some type of magnolia.


This rose image was traced from a photograph of a rose bouquet I took. I've also painted a watercolor of that photograph, since I loved how the stems and leaves were more of the focus than the petals of the rose were. See the resemblance between the images?


And finally, this image of a silhouetted bare-branched tree was again drawn free-hand with the pen tool in Illustrator for this Halloween themed stationery set.


I hope you enjoyed seeing many of the illustrations I've created for my invitation samples! I certainly enjoyed making them! :)

-

Shameless plug time: Love my illustrations? Love these designs? Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these illustrations or download a catalogue pdf (coming soon!). Or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment