Friday, February 17, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Sherelle & Rashida

It's that time again - TGIF! Here's your weekly dose of Fancy/Funky Friday!

First, the "fancy": Pattern Sherelle




Is it just me, or do the four curves coming out of the center of each oval look like little stylized frog legs to you too? Perhaps any pattern that reminds me of frogs should automatically be relegated to the "funky" rather than the "fancy" category, but somehow, the design still seems pretty fancy to me, despite its froggy appearance. The lines are thin, the design is relatively simple, and there's a lot of white space around to help calm the design down even more and help the pattern breathe. Sure, it looks too modern to be at home on Louis XIV's furniture like many of my "fancy" patterns do, but just because something is more contemporary doesn't mean it can't still be fancy, too. From a distance, I can totally see this pattern being turned into a sophisticated wallpaper.


And now, the "funky": Pattern Rashida





Usually the letters I use to create my patterns aren't quite so obvious, but I decided to make an exception for Pattern Rashida since I liked it as it was so much already. :) From a distance, the capital "R"s aren't as eye-popping, and the sunburst-like shapes that are created look really interesting. It's precisely because of the bright sunburst quality that I changed the pattern to an orange when I used it in the stationery design below.




I love that this pattern is at a diagonal, so I played that up even more by placing it on a diagonal in the stationery design. Usually I use patterns to decorate a horizontal or vertical edge or two of the design, but placing a pattern diagonally across a corner feels so much more unique and bold, and would be great for the invitation to a fun, funky, more casual affair. :)
-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment