Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday Sample Spotlight: "Kitchen Chaos"

This week I plan to post some ideas for Valentine's Day parties, and one of those ideas is getting friends together and having a cupcake bake-off. This stationery set would be perfect for a party like that - or for a casual wedding with a cupcake reception.

I already had the cupcake illustration from a design I made for some birthday greeting cards, and I absolutely loved this piece of scrapbook paper, which was in a stack of paper I'd purchased years ago. The colors are my two favorite colors - blues and purples - and the design looked so fun and painterly that I just had to find a use for it. I changed the colors of my cupcake illustration to match the scrapbook paper better, and voila, a stationery set that perfectly demonstrates both the messy deliciousness of a kitchen after baking a frenzied batch of cupcakes and the artistic talents of cake decorators for events like weddings and other large parties.

"Kitchen Chaos" Invitation Duo (invite & reply card)

As usual when I use scrapbook paper, I cut and used the actual paper with its bright, bold colors on the right-side pocket and the flap on the left of this metallic purple Himalaya pocketfold envelope. I also scanned the remaining scraps of paper into my computer to use very lightly in the background of the invitation and reply card. That way, the stationery would tie into the design on the envelopes without being an exact replica of the intense colors.


For the font, I chose a casual handwriting font with a bit of variation in line thickness so it would seem more like words sculpted out of cupcake icing. Since the purple and blue were such bold colors, I added some brown and white in the text and cupcake illustration to balance out the color with a bit of neutral.


In the picture above you can see some of the shine of the metallic purple envelopes. I was lucky enough to find envelopes that literally perfectly matched the purple shades in the scrapbook paper I had. It almost looks as if the envelopes were intended to have the paint splatter decorations, the paper and envelopes match so well! :)




Next week's Sunday Sample Spotlight: "Chocolate Valentine"

Click here to view all Sunday Sample Spotlight posts.

"Like" Invites by Andrea on Facebook!

-

Shameless Plug Time: Love this invitation (or others featured on this blog)? Want something similar (or something completely custom) designed for your event? Visit Invites by Andrea to view more samples, download a catalogue pdf, or fill out a design request form. Or shoot me an email to ask me your questions or learn more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment