Friday, July 27, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Anastasia & Cassidy

Both of today's patterns were created using the letter "Q"; they're so different because of the font I selected, and the other pattern elements that were incorporated into the design.


First, the "fancy": Pattern Anastasia






This funky but thinly-stroked font featured an interesting capital "Q" that I couldn't resist using in a pattern. I paired it with some more elegant characters of the same font to create this unique "fancy" design. Though up close, the odd details and extreme angles seem a little too playful to be truly "fancy," the pattern still looks very elegant from far away, where the thin purple lines take on a lace-like appearance that goes well with the small circle-like negative spaces.



And now, the "funky": Pattern Cassidy





Pattern Cassidy, on the other hand, is much simpler in appearance. I added a block-like capital "O" to a collection of four capital "Q"s to make each flower-like form, then tilted the pattern unit at an angle and lined them up with their neighbors so that their edges wouldn't quite touch. The negative spaces reflect the squareness of each pattern unit, giving the whole design an almost grid-like feel.

The thick lines, angled pattern units, and simplistic, bold design all add to the modern, funky characteristics of this pattern. It shows a completely different way to use a capital "Q" to make another unique design. :)



-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment