Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday Sample Spotlight: "The Marble Index"

Almost exactly a year ago, my husband and I traveled to the Greek islands on our honeymoon. It was his first time in Greece, but I'd been once before, when I took a "Mediterranean Cultural History Tour" study abroad trip back in 2008.

We met up in Zurich, Switzerland for a quick orientation, and then traveled through Italy (spending a few days each in Venice, Florence, Rome, and Naples) before taking a boat from Brindisi to Patras, Greece. There, we took a bus around Greece for a few days (stopping in Olympia and Nafplion), took a boat to Crete (Greece's largest island), and then returned to the mainland to visit Delphi, the monasteries at Meteora, Thessaloniki, and the capital city of Athens. It was definitely one of the highlights of my college years, and I loved Italy and Greece so much that I returned to Italy in 2010 and Greece in 2011.

Today's Sunday Sample Spotlight is based on a photograph I took on Crete's Matala Beach - famous for its cliffside caves right off the beach.

 
"The Marble Index" - Invitation Duo (invite & reply card) with matching Save-the-Date and hotel information sheet

For the envelopes, I chose an ivory linen paper because I liked the almost handmade texture they had. I added to this feeling by using textured brown cardstock to back each stationery item, and by lining the inside flaps of the petal invitation envelope with scrapbook paper that had an implied marble texture printed on it.




I picked these textures to play up the history of Greece. The marble scrapbook paper (which I also scanned in and used softly in the background of each printed stationery item) obviously calls to mind ancient marble sculptures, while the linen texture of the envelopes and cardstock felt like old paper while looking like the color of sand - bridging a gap between the past and present of Crete.




The image of the beach chairs and umbrella were traced from a photograph I took on Matala. I used Adobe Illustrator's pen tool to turn the photograph into a fun, modern graphic that hints at the casualness of a beachside wedding and adds a nice balance to the formality of the linen and marble textures.





Many public Greek beaches have chairs and umbrellas for rent right on the beach. You just sit down and relax, and eventually the owners will come around and collect a few euro coins. I wish more American beaches had lounge chairs and large umbrellas for rent! :)


Next week's Sunday Sample Spotlight: I'll bring the beach-theme a little closer to home, with an illustration of Grand Haven, Michigan!


Click here to view all Sunday Sample Spotlight posts.

"Like" Invites by Andrea on Facebook!

-

Shameless Plug Time: Love this invitation (or others featured on this blog)? Want something similar (or something completely custom) designed for your event? Visit Invites by Andrea to view more samples, download a catalogue pdf, or fill out a design request form. Or shoot me an email to ask me your questions or learn more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment