Friday, July 20, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Rhiannon & Kacie

Happy Friday! Here are today's "fancy" and "funky" patterns.


First, the "fancy": Pattern Rhiannon






Pattern Rhiannon is a typical "fancy" pattern. Its lines are elegant and curvy, and there is a nice balance between negative space and positive space. I particularly love the super thin lines that weave in and out throughout this design - they create thin diamond-like shapes that provide an underlying structure to the pattern and give it a regal feel.

From a distance, those thin lines disappear, and it is the interesting white shapes that become the most prominent part of the pattern. Those negative spaces are reminiscent of cameo jewelry and ornate, decorative frames, further confirming Pattern Rhiannon as a "fancy" design.



And now, the "funky": Pattern Kacie






Pattern Kacie emphasizes horizontal lines, but adds hints of interest along the way. The geometric vertical designs that pop against the plain stripes look almost like hieroglyphics or tribal symbols, and it is these "thorns" that go against the grain of the pattern that make it fit perfectly in the "funky" category.

This pattern reminds me of tribal tattoos and barbed-wire fences, and this general feeling along with the emphasis on straight lines make this one of my most masculine patterns. Because of this, I think it looks best dressed in dark tones (navy blue, burgundy, dark green), and earthy neutrals (such as brown and tan).


-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment