Wednesday, November 30, 2011

How to Use Patterns on Stationery - Part Seven: Big and Bold

In this final post about different ways that I like to use patterns in my stationery designs, I wanted to make one final point: patterns don't have to be small, delicate, or subtle, even though I usually make them that way. That's just the aesthetic I tend to prefer - feminine and pretty. But big, bold, graphic patterns can be really awesome on stationery too, even if it's a wedding or other formal event.

The floral pattern shown below wouldn't feel nearly as much like springtime if it weren't so bold. The yellow and green colors are cheerful - so why not let the pattern shout a little with joy, too? ;)


Even fancier, more delicate patterns can take on a whole new look when they're blown up larger than life. I often use my favorite font characters to create patterns, and in this one I used a lowercase "f" and "y." How great would a bold fun pattern like this be if your initials were F and Y?


Similarly, the angular font I used to create this pattern is pretty apparent - capital "R"s and "P"s almost jump out at you when the pattern is shown big and bold like it is in this design. For a couple with first names that begin with "R" and "P", this could be the perfect font. Even if those letters aren't meaningful to you, though, the pattern still works on its own. With the bright orange color, the pattern looks even more evocative of starbursts than it already was!


Don't be afraid to blow a more delicate, intricate pattern up so that it's large and in charge! I even fill almost half of a design with a large pattern sometimes, if there isn't a lot of text that needs to be incorporated.


Finally, simple shapes make for great big, bold patterns. They look modern and exciting, just like these final two examples that create circle or rectangular-type shapes with their simple lines and curves.



I really enjoyed showing off all of these patterned pieces, so I hope you enjoyed seeing them, too! If you love pattern as much as I do, don't worry - I'll still be posting images of my favorite patterns every Fancy/Funky Friday!

-

Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? Love these designs? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns or download a catalogue pdf (coming soon!). Or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment