Friday, January 6, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Samantha & Leanna

It's Friday, and on Ideas by Andrea, that means it's time for another Fancy/Funky Friday post! I love creating patterns (often from characters from some of my favorite fonts), and I have a folder on my desktop filled with over 150 patterns. Every Friday, I share two of those designs - one that's more suited for elegant, "fancy" events, items, or stationery, and one that's a little "funkier."

First, the "fancy": Pattern Samantha




The white space is so prominent in this pattern that it almost becomes the pattern, especially from a distance. Yet, if only a strip of the pattern is used, instead of a large area, the linear details become prominent again, drawing the eye and adding visual interest.

I used it in a single stripe on the sample stationery set below because I didn't want the negative space to be so distracting. I added a thin line to the top of the pattern so that the individual units would like like little lanterns hanging off of a string, decorating an outdoor venue, which I really love.



One of the great things about Pattern Samantha is how well it works as both a lighter pattern on a darker background and a darker pattern on a lighter background. The thin lines that make up the pattern help it to stay elegant, yet the "x" and diamond shapes also give it some structure. It's the best of both worlds!

And now, the "funky": Pattern Leanna




This is just such a fun, bubbly pattern. Wouldn't it look great on a flirty skirt? I love how much personality Pattern Leanna has, yet there's also something sophisticated about it that makes it feel more mature than girly and juvenile. Like many of my best patterns, it seesaws between dense (and perhaps intense) parts of the pattern with more airy areas (where the negative space is greater and things feel less crowded). It ends up giving the impression that it's both a very simple pattern (since it's created mostly from the repetition of loops) and a little complicated, which makes for a very interesting and successful pattern! :)

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment