Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday Sample Spotlight: "Dilly Dilly"

Winter is in full swing, and you know what that means for Michigan (and much of the rest of the U.S., too) - frigid temperatures, bare tree branches, that cold winter wind, and (if we're lucky) some of that beautiful sparkling snow. When I found this scrapbook paper, based on a photograph of winter trees, I knew I had to use it in a winter-themed stationery set.

"Dilly Dilly" - Invitation duo (invite & reply card)

The scrapbook paper (which I cut out and attached to the left flap and right pockets of the light blue linen Himalaya pocketfold envelope) is a gorgeous periwinkle color that's almost lavender. It paired terrifically with the light blue linen I chose for the envelopes and to print the invitations on. Coupled with a couple lavender brads and a pastel blue vellum overlay, the color scheme becomes a hauntingly beautiful lavender and blue - which is where I got the name from. Remember the nursery rhyme?

Lavender Blue, Dilly Dilly...



Whenever I use scrapbook paper to line an envelope, I like to incorporate the imagery or pattern used into other parts of the stationery design, as well, and this set is no exception. I scanned in the beautiful bare tree photograph from the scrapbook paper, and made it lighter and more transparent so it blended even better with the cool light blue paper the invitation would be printed on. With the blue vellum overlay, the trees receded even further into the background, adding even more depth to the winter scene the design creates.



I also included just a hint of brighter blue at the top of the invitation and reply card, to reconnect the paper to the blue of the vellum overlay. This way, I didn't need to cover the reply card with blue vellum to have it still feel connected to and cohesive to the invitation. Though I have covered reply cards with vellum before, I generally decide not to, for practical reasons. It's certainly beautiful, but how many of your guests will not realize they can raise the vellum, and try to write their reply on the overlay instead of the actual paper? Plus, when you're stamping all of the reply envelopes for your guests to return, you have to be careful to put enough postage on if you start adding multiple layers onto your reply cards.

I love how peaceful and serene winter can be. It's a season that easily lends itself to elegant functions. This stationery set (like most that I've designed) is shown with text and information for a winter wedding, but the design could easily be adapted to any other winter event instead. You don't have to be betrothed to have an excuse to throw a formal winter party! :)

Next week's Sunday Sample Spotlight: "The Last Winterberry"

Click here to view all Sunday Sample Spotlight posts.

"Like" Invites by Andrea on Facebook!

-

Shameless Plug Time: Love this invitation (or others featured on this blog)? Want something similar (or something completely custom) designed for your event? Visit Invites by Andrea to view more samples, download a catalogue pdf, or fill out a design request form. Or shoot me an email to ask me your questions or learn more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment