Friday, August 31, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Connie & Louise

Today's patterns are both unique and feature (among other details) "x"-like designs.

First, the "fancy": Pattern Connie




More unusual than many of my "fancy" patterns, Pattern Connie stays elegant with its thin lines and "x"-like details. The "x"-like forms both create structure and interest, while hinting at the regal diamond-like shapes I love to include in my "fancy" collection. The small loop-like details also hint at elegant crafts like embroidery or crochet, and from a distance, the design looks almost like lace.



And now, the "funky": Pattern Louise





This pattern feels distinctly Western, and brings to mind the designs of nineteenth-century American pioneer quilts. Furthermore, the curved bracket-like forms look like the sorts of designs a shoemaker might stamp on leather cowboy boots. From a distance, Pattern Louise appears to be a modified plaid design, but up close the curves of the almost-rectangular pattern units become more pronounced, giving it a more modern, playful vibe. Finally, the thinnest lines create an underlying "x" structure to each pattern unit, giving it an almost elegant feel.


-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment