Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Interior Design Color Schemes #4

Last week, I posted some photographs and showed how I picked out four colors from each image to use as inspiration for creating interior design inspiration color boards. Today, I have two new photographs to show you. :)



Inspirational Photo #7: Positano Flowers



This photograph was taken on the Italian Amalfi coast, in a town called Positano in 2010. These flowers were decorating the al fresco dining area of a beach-side restaurant. Though the magenta flowers and green leaves are the more saturated colors in this photograph, to me it is the two-toned white flowers that are most interesting. I loved the hints of purples and lavenders displayed on their petals.




To keep the emphasis on the pretty shades of purple and magenta, keep the green accents to a minimum, and choose an olive or khaki tint that will act more like a neutral than another jarring color. If your purples and magentas are very dark and saturated, using a lighter green than the one I had in the photograph is probably the best bet. In these examples, the olive green in the top left and right pictures and bottom middle image are used as light-colored accents. They're so light that they're almost the yellow color of early spring grass! To emphasize a darker green, tone down the dark shades of the purple and magenta, or better yet, just pick one of those saturated colors instead of using both.


Inspirational Photo #8: Fruit in Boston



I took this photograph at an outdoor street market in Boston in 2009. I love the dual colors of the fruit. When paired with the bright blue crate they were stacked in, the fruit are the very definition of saturated color.




To translate the saturated colors of the Boston photograph into home decor, remember to utilize accents and include a lot of neutrals. A dark chocolate brown or a fresh white are my favorite neutrals for this orange and yellow color scheme; because the citrus colors are so bold, the blue can even act as a neutral if it's dark enough. Select a navy, and use it either as subdued accents to a bright room, or make it more prominent and tone down the amount of orange and yellow instead. Either way, this color scheme is both modern and fun, and goes great in any contemporary space.





-


Don't forget - though these inspiration boards feature home decorating ideas, these color schemes could work just as well for any event! I hope you enjoyed my interior design advice. I'm a complete amateur when it comes to home decorating, but I've always loved finding new ideas to use color, and I can't wait to make over our new house with some of my own decorating ideas. :)




"Like" Invites by Andrea on Facebook!

 

Shameless Plug Time: Love these color combinations? Looking for custom stationery made to match these colors (or whatever other color combinations you're using for your event)? Visit Invites by Andrea to view more samples, download a catalogue pdf, or fill out a design request form. Or shoot me an email to ask me your questions or learn more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment