Friday, August 10, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Laila & Hannah

You don't have to come up with a complex pattern to make great designs! Sometimes simple is best, as today's fancy and funky patterns show. :)

First, the "fancy": Pattern Laila





This pattern (which was made from very tall, skinny capital "S" forms), made beautiful diamond-like heart shapes almost all by itself! I reflected the "S" both horizontally and vertically to make each pattern "unit" and then repeated them with a slight overlap to make the small loops. Each horizontal "stripe" of the design acts alone as a great accent for the borders of stationery, and when the stripes are repeated to create a field of pattern (as we see here), the forms flow almost seamlessly into each other. Pattern Laila is simple and elegant. The hearts sprinkled throughout aren't glaring (since they overlap to form loops), but act as a nice surprise to those who notice them. This pattern is perfect for almost any relatively formal event - but it's simple enough to be adapted to casual affairs, too.


And now, the "funky": Pattern Hannah




Pattern Hannah was also an easy pattern to make. I took an italic lowercase "w" and reflected it against a horizontal axis once to make each pattern unit. Because the resulting shape was so interesting, I didn't want to make the pattern too crowded by having each pattern unit touch, so I made sure to allow a bit of white negative space throughout the design. This pattern feels very kid-like to me - couldn't you just see this pattern wallpapered on a young child's bedroom? The shapes remind me both of sideways butterflies, and - for some reason - playful bananas or hot dogs. It's whimsical and fun without being too complicated, which makes it a classic "funky" pattern.



-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment