Friday, August 3, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Nadine & Deedee

Can you believe it's already August? I'm amazed at how quickly the summer is flying by. Today's Fancy/Funky Friday post features a fancy pattern that reminds me of fair isle sweaters - perhaps just looking at the wintry design can help you beat the hot August heat! ;)

First, the "fancy": Pattern Nadine




Pattern Nadine has relatively thin lines (though this week's "funky" pattern is actually thinner), and a few curvy, elegant forms - but it's the various diamond-like shapes that really make this design feel "fancy" to me. It feels structured and preppy, while still being a little fun and elegant. It's an interesting mix that makes for a really unique pattern, but somehow all of the very different elements work well together. :)



And now, the "funky": Pattern Deedee





This pattern has some of the elements I typically associate with my "fancy" collection: thin lines, and a mixture of dense, detailed pattern and emptier spaces that let it negative space and allow the pattern to breathe. Still, the obvious tilted rectangles that dominate the pattern and the clear italic letterforms I used to create the design give Pattern Deedee too much of a fun, playful feel to be considered anything other than "funky."


-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment