Friday, November 23, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Catherine & Flora

Aren't long holiday weekends the best? Celebrate Thanksgiving with today's pattern post!

First, the "fancy": Pattern Catherine






Why it's "fancy": Calligraphic lines (lines that vary in thickness), loops, and a diamond-like repetition.

Why it's great: The lowercase d's are a little obvious - made all the more so because they often don't quite connect with each other. I love the thin bits of negative space that rest between the serif of one d and the "counter" (circular part) of the next.


And now, the "funky": Pattern Flora





Why it's "funky": The individual pattern "units" are thick, bold, and graphic - and leave lots of negative white space in between!

Why it's great: The flower-like shapes are made of extremely large commas, and the shapes that look like wings are made of lowercase c's.

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment