Friday, November 16, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Gardenia & Isolde

TGIPF: Thank Goodness It's Pattern Friday!

First, the "fancy": Pattern Gardenia





Why it's "fancy": Thin, curvy lines, lots of loops, and a lace-like quality (especially from a distance).

Why it's great: I love the moment where the larger pattern "units" meet where the rows repeat - the two lines next to each other merge into a single, thicker line that stands out in a sea of thin.


And now, the "funky": Pattern Isolde





Why it's "funky": Straight lines, diagonals, and a very strict grid give it a very "art deco" geometric feel.

Why it's great: There are three (different!) interesting intersections - the "plus signs" that intersect into a diamond, the large x's that intersect to create little white clouds, and the instances where the serifs at the ends of lines come close to touching, but leave a little negative-space breathing-room instead.


-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment