Friday, March 2, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Crystal & Waverly

It's time for another Fancy/Funky Friday post!

First, the "fancy": Pattern Crystal




This is another one of those patterns that I end up using on everything just because I love it so much and its so classic. It looks great either horizontal or vertical, and it reminds me of the black diagonal lines across our front living room window when I was growing up. It feels sophisticated and elegant, and can easily be adapted to different things depending on what colors are chosen. For the stationery design below, I made the pattern a very pale purple so that it was hardly visible - but a nice little touch to those who found it. :)




I also love to use this pattern in my watercolors. It makes a great background to add a little elegance to whatever I want to paint on top of it.



And now, the "funky": Pattern Waverly




I also really love this pattern. How many patterns have the ability to remind you of so many things at once? Looking at this, I see a pair of funky glasses (like the ones Helga's friend Phoebe wore in the 90s Nickelodeon cartoon "Hey Arnold"), a stylized version of an ancient Greek Doric column, a creepy mustache face, an adorable Muppet face, and the tiny bubbles that ride in on soft undulating waves. It's also reminiscent of an M.C. Escher print, or an optical illusion. Yet despite all the silly things it reminds me of, there's something kind of sophisticated about it, too, and I think it's because of the straight horizontal lines that the circles create, which make a balancing grid with the thin vertical rectangles staggered along each row of the pattern.

It's just a really cool, interesting pattern to look at, and every time I do, I see something different. :)

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment