Friday, March 9, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Tiffany & Ricki

We lose an hour "springing forward" this weekend for Daylight Savings Time, but hopefully that doesn't mean you don't have the time to check out today's Fancy/Funky Friday post! It's short and sweet this week, I promise. ;)

First, the "fancy": Pattern Tiffany




When I started making different patterns just for the purpose of making patterns (and not for a particular project I was already working on), this was one of the first ones I designed. It's zig-zag parts look just like strips of scalloped lace, which I absolutely love. It's the same basic pattern unit, repeated side-by-side for one version, and top-to-bottom in the other strips. The result is some really cool lace-like options that look great together or used separately, like I did in the stationery design below.




The little bunches of circular shapes also resemble flowers, which gives it an even more feminine quality, making it perfect for elegant stationery. Those flower-like forms also make it easy to measure out where decorative brads or ribbons could go. I love placing brads at the origins of symmetry like that! :)


And now, the "funky": Pattern Ricki



This pattern has a great balance between thin lines placed so densely together that they look like thicker lines and lines with lots of negative white space between them. It creates diamond shapes, loops, pointed-ovals, and x-like shapes, yet also emphases horizontal lines with the use of white space. At closer look, Pattern Ricki has a lot of interesting details going on that make it really cool to look at.

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment