Friday, March 23, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Genesis & Sydney

Happy Friday! Here are today's Fancy and Funky patterns! :)

First, the "fancy": Pattern Genesis



I love this pattern. It reminds me of decorative sand dollars, and because of this I find that it feels distinctly summery. I love how the pattern looks in beachy colors like tans, blues, and sunshine yellow. In the example below, I used the pattern to dress up an invitation, reply card, and save-the-date set with recycled tan envelopes.



The pattern also reminds me of stained glass windows. Having a wedding in a beautifully decorated cathedral or church? You could play up the stained glass decor by coloring in this pattern with vibrant reds, blues, and greens, and give your guests a tantalizing taste of what they'll see at your event. :)


And now, the "funky": Pattern Sydney



Patterns that don't follow a traditional horizontal/vertical grid are so much more exciting - and they're easy to do. I just made this pattern like I did so many others - by repeating a unit in horizontal and vertical lines - but when I had a large area of the pattern, I tilted everything so that it was at an angle. It's instantly more dynamic and energized, but since the grid is still there (just tilted), it still has an underlying structure.

I love how these lines connect with each other so seamlessly. Doesn't it look like the whole pattern was drawn without ever picking up your pencil? The pattern practically begs you to trace your finger along it, following all of its fun zig-zags and U-turns. :)

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment