Friday, April 6, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Adrienne & Chloe

It's time for another Fancy/Funky Friday post!

First, the "fancy": Pattern Adrienne




There's no doubt that Pattern Adrienne falls into the "fancy" category. With its thin lines, open white spaces, delicate loops, and a general lace-like quality, it epitomizes everything I look for in a "fancy" pattern. From a distance, the pattern becomes very grid-like with its emphasis on vertical and horizontal lines, but up close you can really see all of the intricate details that make it interesting.


And now, the "funky": Pattern Chloe







What's great about this pattern is how the parts seem to be connected, especially from a distance, while not actually touching. You still get a very clear sense of each part of the pattern, even with the little white gaps in between the pieces. Another cool thing about Pattern Chloe is how the lowercase o's create a wavy effect that keeps the horizontal rows from seeming too structured. It makes the whole pattern more fun!




I love this pattern in a light green because I think the individual units seem vaguely plant like - from a distance, there's something almost flowery or leaf-like about the lines. It's a great springtime pattern, so it's only fitting that it gets a fun spring color. I paired it with a pure white neutral in the stationery example above, which calms down the bright green and craziness of the pattern to make it more formal.

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment