Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sunday Sample Spotlight: "The Not-So-Ugly Duckling"

To those who celebrate them, Happy Easter and Passover! For today's Sunday Sample Spotlight, I thought it would be fitting to showcase one of the designs I've created to celebrate the miracle of nature and new life. "The Not-So-Ugly Duckling" is an invitation design intended for a baby shower or baby announcement, but it could be adapted to other events, as well.


"The Not-So-Ugly Duckling"

Initially I designed this invitation to have a light peach background, but when I started to play around with the colors I found that the dark backgrounds really made the blues and whites pop forward, giving the image an almost neon glow that was really interesting and fun. I still like the original design as well (and perhaps it would be more fitting for a baby shower invitation, since this rich chocolate brown is almost too dark for such an exciting, happy event), but there's just something about the dark background that I can't get over. It makes the design seem more modern and really adds a lot of sophistication to the piece.




I traced the image from a photograph of two ducks I took when on vacation in Barcelona, Spain in 2010. The ducks were in a pond in the Parc de la Ciutadella, which is a beautiful park with lots of ponds, flowers, plants, and cool architecture that my then-fiance and I walked around for a few hours as we waited for the Picasso Museum to open. It was very peaceful, sitting there in the early morning hours, watching the ducks swim around. I loved the reflections of the pure white feathers in the water, and wanted to capture that in a flat, two-dimensional image. As usual, I used Adobe Illustrator's pen tool to trace the photograph, simplifying it a bit and only tracing the parts that were meaningful to the image.

After I printed out the design, I selected a dark chocolate brown envelope to match the background I'd selected, though I think a bright blue envelope (like the color of the background of the photographs above) would be just as amazing with this design. And how perfect would a deep, saturated blue be for a baby boy? I've never understood our society's desire to make all the colors so pastel when welcoming new life. It's an exciting event - why wouldn't you want a bright, bold blue instead of a pale, subdued shade? ;)


Next week's Sunday Sample Spotlight: Includes graphic, flowery scrapbook paper and a metallic rose pink envelope... :)

Click here to view all Sunday Sample Spotlight posts.

"Like" Invites by Andrea on Facebook!

-

Shameless Plug Time: Love this invitation (or others featured on this blog)? Want something similar (or something completely custom) designed for your event? Visit Invites by Andrea to view more samples, download a catalogue pdf, or fill out a design request form. Or shoot me an email to ask me your questions or learn more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment