Friday, April 20, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Farina & Rosalie

Happy Friday! Today's patterns are both pretty unique, so make sure to scroll down and check them out!

First, the "fancy": Pattern Farina




From a distance, Pattern Farina looks like a simple decorative diamond pattern, but up close there are a lot of interesting details, and some very dense areas of lines. Some of the lines are almost horizontal and vertical, creating some rectangular shapes superimposed on top of the diamonds. I love using this pattern as a large area, instead of just a single stripe. In the sample below, I kept the colors light so that the pattern wouldn't stand out too much, and allowed it to stay in the entire background of the design. It gives this simple save-the-date a very elegant look.




And now, the "funky": Pattern Rosalie




I'm sure you couldn't possibly guess what letter I used to create this pattern design. ;) Pattern Rosalie has some thinner lines, and certainly utilizes the elegant curves I enjoy so much, but I could never classify it as "fancy." It's just too unstructured.

Most of the pieces of the pattern don't touch others, letting the white negative space flow through the entire pattern, and though the "units" of the pattern are lined up vertically, the columns are each offset so that they don't line up horizontally. These traits make it almost difficult to determine the underlying structure of the pattern, since it seems so loose and free-flowing. The diagonals are much more prominent than any horizontal or vertical lines, and the most obvious characteristic is the S-shape that dominates the entire pattern.

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment