Friday, April 27, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Sophie & Nebraska

Today's Fancy/Funky Friday post features two unique patterns with interesting negative space.

First, the "fancy": Pattern Sophie









You may remember this pattern from a Sunday Sample Spotlight post back in February. As I said in that post:

This pattern is one of my favorites. I love how much white negative space it lets in and how the rows are offset from each other to create that brick-like repetition so that you get the horizontal and vertical rectangle-like shapes. Plus, the pattern was created out of such a beautiful font that it's filled with little details and loops that are so elegant. Just gorgeous!





Pattern Sophie is definitely one of my more unique patterns. The negative space it creates is really interesting, and almost becomes the pattern itself. Because it's such an elegant, romantic pattern, it goes great with soft colors, like I used in the sample above.


And now, the "funky": Pattern Nebraska









This is another very unique pattern with some interesting negative space. There are areas of dense lines, and areas where a single thick dot or line juts out into the empty negative space, and these two opposites create a unique composition. The thick lines and free-standing dots give this pattern a very tribal feel that's really cool - and unlike most of my pattern designs. Hope you enjoy it!


-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment