Friday, April 13, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Charlotte & Sadie

If you're familiar with this blog or my stationery catalogue (you can download the PDF here), you might recognize the two patterns featured in today's Fancy/Funky Friday post. :)

First, the "fancy": Pattern Charlotte




This is a classic example of a "fancy" font, and one of my favorites. I know I say that almost every week, but this time it really is true. ;) I love how the thin, elegant lines flow into each other so that it looks like it was drawn without ever picking up the pencil. This pattern has a good amount of white negative space and even the places where the pattern is more dense and the lines are closer together still feel very airy and roomy. It definitely has a lace-like quality about it, and perhaps most importantly of all, Pattern Charlotte hits just the right amount of busyness and simplicity.



I've used this pattern in several stationery designs. In the example above, I changed the pattern more than I usually do when adapting it to the invitation. I repeated the pattern twice, squeezing the second copy together for the thin version seen behind the dual-colored main pattern. Since I only had one strip of the pattern, and I kept the scale very large and intimidating, I felt like the white space left was too glaring, and so filled it in a bit with the all-blue thinner version in the background.

I also don't usually add a stroke around an entire pattern like I did in this example, but in this case it just worked best that way. When the pattern was all blue or all red, it just didn't have the feel to it that I was looking for. Pattern Charlotte is very thin and elegant, but as you can see in the example above, it can also become large and bold with the right color choices and scale. :)



I love this pattern so much, I've also used it in the background of watercolors. Can you tell which background square of the patchwork-like sign I painted features Pattern Charlotte? It's the yellowish gold square behind the "drea" of my name. :)


And now, the "funky": Pattern Sadie




I love the little diamonds this pattern makes - they provide a nice, almost elegant detail to an otherwise bold pattern. The lines are thick and commanding, and there's a definite underlying structure to the design. The horizontal stripes of diamonds add contrast to the vertical emphases of the other parts of the pattern, and from a distance the angles of the lines look more curvy and take on an almost wavy quality.




I've also used this pattern on stationery designs before, as you can see in the above photograph. For whatever reason, I find that this pattern gives me a Western feel (especially when it's big and bold), which is why I often color it with browns, reds, and yellows. I can just see this pattern stamped onto fashionable leather cowboy boots. :)


-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment