Friday, June 8, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Niagara & Nicole

It's the end of the week - the perfect time to reflect on two more of the patterns I've designed! ;)

First, the "fancy": Pattern Niagara



This pattern has a very clear grid structure, and it's easy to tease the design apart into a series of rows or columns. Because of this characteristic - and because the little curls reminded me of splashing water - I gave this pattern the name "Niagara." I think the most interesting part of this pattern is the angular corners on the vertical lines connecting each row to the next. Since almost every other line is curved, the angular line stands out as a unique detail. It helps the pattern from being too monotonous and keeps things interesting.


And now, the "funky": Pattern Nicole



This is a great pattern for spring and summer because of the petal-like shapes it makes. From a distance, it takes on a decorative lattice feel, but up close the series of symbolic flowers keep it modern, fun, and fresh. This pattern would be great for upholstery, drapes, and sheets. It looks vaguely like a garden, and works in almost any color combination from the bold and attention-grabbing to more subtle pastel shades.

Wondering what font characters I used to create this pattern? A lowercase "c" and a comma. Can you tease apart where each is in the pattern? :)

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment