Friday, June 29, 2012

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Narcissa & Dawn

It's time for another Fancy/Funky Friday post. Today's designs are called "Narcissa" and "Dawn."

First, the "fancy": Pattern Narcissa



I feel like this pattern would make for a great scrapbook paper. The largest white rectangles created out of the negative space are just begging for photographs! Wouldn't the elegant curves perfectly frame a small picture or a silhouette-style profile image? Another idea would be to dress up the negative space with some jewels. I can totally see this pattern adapted to a decorative choker, studded with a little bling. :)

Pattern Narcissa is similar to many of my "fancy" patterns - it has thin lines, lots of swirls and curves, and a good mixture of negative space and denser areas where the thin lines come together to connect and crisscross. Perhaps my "fancy" patterns follow this formula a little too closely, but if you look at them side by side, there are always some clear differences between each one. They're not as cookie-cutter as they might appear at first glance.


And now, the "funky": Pattern Dawn




I love the waves and bubbles this pattern shows off when viewed from a distance. The lines are thick and bold, and there isn't a straight line anywhere in the pattern. The countless loops and circles make this pattern instantly fun and whimsical. Up close you can also see that the loops are the counters of text characters, and it's easy to discern what letters I used to create the pattern, giving the frivolous pattern some meaning to help ground it a little. :) I think Pattern Dawn is a great pattern for summer. Even when it's not a bright orange color, the bubbles seem very sunny and happy to me, making this design great for decor and stationery for summertime events.


-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment