Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sunday Sample Spotlight: "Scrambled Eggs & Whiskey"

I've featured this pattern before, during a Fancy/Funky Friday post. In that post, I said that this pattern gives me a Western feel (especially when it's big and bold), and that I can just see it stamped onto fashionable leather cowboy boots. It's true - this relatively simple pattern looks fantastic in earth tones such as browns, reds, and yellows, two of which I used in the stationery sample below.


"Scrambled Eggs and Whiskey" - Invitation Duo (invite & reply card)

I chose a deep chocolate brown "cascade" pocketfold envelope for this invitation set, and mounted both the invitation and reply card onto a textured cardstock in bright, eye-catching yellow to really stand out against the dark brown. I used the same yellow color for the pattern and some of the text, choosing the easier-read dark brown for the small print.




Because the pattern and font are so simplistic, I could do fun things with gradients to the background and bold text of the design without the design feeling too busy. The fading brown in the background gives it that worn, Western feel I wanted, while the textured yellow cardstock implies the tactile qualities of cowboy fabrics, such as leather or burlap.





For such a masculine design, I just had to find a name that sounded both manly and country, which is why I settled on "Scrambled Eggs & Whiskey," the title of a poem written by Hayden Carruth in 1996. The name also considers the two prominent colors in this unique stationery design - yellow and brown.


Next week's Sunday Sample Spotlight: An homage to bold tattoos!


Click here to view all Sunday Sample Spotlight posts.

"Like" Invites by Andrea on Facebook!

-

Shameless Plug Time: Love this invitation (or others featured on this blog)? Want something similar (or something completely custom) designed for your event? Visit Invites by Andrea to view more samples, download a catalogue pdf, or fill out a design request form. Or shoot me an email to ask me your questions or learn more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment