Friday, November 18, 2011

Fancy/Funky Friday: Patterns Imogen & Jeanette

I hope you've enjoyed my pattern-themed posts this week. To continue in that spirit, it's time for another Fancy/Funky Friday!

First, the "fancy": Pattern Imogen




This is a pretty simple pattern - it's easy to repeat and looks good small or large. It's not super curvy and lacy like many of my "fancy" patterns are, but it does remind me a lot of argyle, which is why I've placed it in the "fancy" category. Wouldn't this pattern be great on a professional-looking career sweater vest, or on an expensive designer handbag? It feels preppy and sleek, which I absolutely love.

If you follow this blog, you may remember that several of my patterns include hidden text - certain characters that I've reflected, rotated, and repeated to create the pattern. At first glance, you'd probably guess that this pattern features an "X", since it has so many "X"-like qualities, but it's actually a unique "W" - to make a single unit of the pattern I just took the normal orientation of the W, and paired it with a reflection of the "W" over the x-axis. So easy!

And now, the "funky": Pattern Jeanette



I think it's pretty obvious why this pattern is "funky" - it has a lot of different, unique elements going on within each unit of the pattern, and then I repeated it at a diagonal so that even the repetition is dynamic. One of the characters I used to create this design is definitely a lowercase "j" (which is where the little diamond comes from - it was the dot above the "j"), but the pattern has so much going that I can't even tell what the other characters I used were. I think that's what makes a good pattern - when it flows into each other so well that it's hard to tell one character from another because it has turned into a solid unit.

Don't forget to check back for next week's Fancy/Funky Friday post! And if you love my patterns, check out the entries I posted this past week about the different ways that I incorporate patten into my stationery designs. More of those types of posts are coming up next week, too!

-

Click here to see all posts related to "Fancy/Funky Friday" 


Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns in use or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment