Tuesday, November 22, 2011

How to Use Patterns on Stationery - Part Five: Reply Boxes

Yesterday I showed you how I've used parts of a pattern in other places of an invitation design, in illustrations or simple decorative images. Another thing I like to do, if the pattern allows it, is to incorporate a part of the pattern as the check-off boxes on a reply card. As long as the pattern has enough white space in the middle to allow room for a check mark or X, isn't it better to use the pattern than a boring straight line, rectangle, or circle? It instantly makes your guests' responses an important part of your stationery design!

The obvious choice for the design below was the diamond-like part of the pattern.


In this pattern, there were already some rectangular-like shapes present, so it was easy to rotate them until they were straight and line them up with the text.


There are small circle-like elements to this design, but my favorite part is the pinched diamond-like part in the middle of the white space of the strip of pattern at the top, so that was what I chose to make into the reply boxes for the R.S.V.P. card. It's a more interesting choice, and there's still plenty of room for a guest to make a check mark or X - or even fill in the whole diamond if they want! I just made that element of the pattern bigger so that it would be easy to fill in, and voila! An awesome reply card. :)


Recognize this one? I featured it as the Sunday Sample Spotlight this week, but I just love this reply card so much that I had to show it off again. ;) The diamonds created by the pattern are perfect - both for an easy place for brads to secure multiple layers of paper together, and for decorative reply boxes for your guests to check off!


More next week!

-

Shameless plug time: Love my patterns? Love these designs? I incorporate them into a lot of the artwork I create, from stationery for Invites by Andrea to the watercolors I paint. Check out Invites by Andrea's website to see examples of these patterns or download a catalogue pdf (coming soon!). Or drop me a line at andrea@invitesbyandrea.com to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment